CLEVELAND – Mayor Frank G. Jackson and Chief of Police Michael McGrath proudly announce that the 2012 City of Cleveland Gun Buy-Back will be held on Saturday, October 20, 2012, at Public Safety Central located at 2001 Payne Avenue. In exchange for operable handguns, citizens will be given a $100 gas, Target or food gift card and two tickets to an upcoming Cavaliers and Lake Erie Monsters game. In addition, they will be entered into a raffle with a chance to win up to $1,000. Incentives for surrendered firearms will be available while supplies last.
Cleveland Police have partnered with the Cleveland Police Foundation, ArcelorMittal, the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, the Cleveland Cavaliers, Burt Saltzman owner of Dave’s Supermarkets, the Cleveland Browns, Kirkstall Road Enterprises, Medical Mutual, Sisters of Charity Health System, Police Patrolman’s Association, and the Fraternal Order of Police to organize this year’s Gun Buy-Back.
“This public-private partnership will help us to prevent a tragedy in the city of Cleveland,”
said Chief of Police Michale McGrath. ”This is a strategy the City of Cleveland and the Division of Police have employed previously. As a result of the Gun Buy-Back someone’s life will be saved.”
“ArcelorMittal is proud to partner with the Cleveland Division of Police on the gun buy-back program. It is a natural extension of our commitment to make Cleveland a safer place for our employees and neighbors. After the guns are collected, we are pleased to melt down the weapons and recycle them into new steel which will eventually become consumer goods that improve the quality of all our lives,” said Eric Hauge, Vice President & General Manager, ArcelorMittal Cleveland.
How to Participate:
- Bring a working handgun to Public Safety Central located at 2001 Payne Avenue on Saturday, October 20, 2012, between the hours of 8:30a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
- The gun must be unloaded in a clear plastic bag inside a second container (gym bag, backpack, etc.)
- Transport the unloaded and properly bagged handgun locked in the trunk of your vehicle.
- Pack ammunition separately. Rifles and shotguns can be turned in but no incentive will be given.
- Cleveland Police Officers will inspect the weapon to ensure that it is a working handgun.
- After the officers determine that the weapon is a functioning handgun, a $100 gas or food gift card and a pair of Cavalier and Lake Erie Monsters tickets will be given. Everyone surrendering a gun will be entered into a raffle for a chance to win up to $1000!